Thursday, December 2, 2010

Glitter Ornaments

The moment you have all been waiting for! Ok probably no one has been waiting for this but at least a few of you would be interested in knowing it if I am going to bother and put it up :)

Since finishing the basement a month or so ago we spend almost all our time downstairs as a family. I have my craft room, Mikey has his movie screen... I mean tv, and Tiny has space in general. Mike suggested we put our Christmas tree downstairs where we can enjoy it.

My husband LOVES the christmas tree. He regularly comes home and asks, "Why isn't the tree plugged in?" Well I couldn't deny him his downstairs Christmas tree so I was determined to find one for the living room as well. I figured I would wait until after Christmas when they all go on sale and snag a deal then. Thankfully I didn't have to wait! On black friday I was able to get one the 6ft tall pre-lit trees at target for $30! It is a little smaller than I am used to but I love it.

I have always loved the idea of two trees, one with all the random ornaments one accumulates over time, and another one with a very strict theme. I had made these glitter ornaments a few weeks ago and new a tree full of them would look beautiful so I got to work.

Supplies (just the word supplies makes me think of the joke where the guy yells supplies instead of surprise... anyway)

You need your glass ornaments, ultra fine glitter, and Pledge Floor Care with Future shine. (not pictured but also helpful would be a piece of paper and some plastic wrap which I assume you already have in your home :)


The items I used were purchased at Hobby Lobby. All christmas items were 50% off so the ornaments cost me $3 and I used a coupon on the glitter so for all 6 colors it was only $2! I should also add that the glitter lasted me through over 3 full boxes of ornaments, I only made it half way through the 4th box.

Now the Pledge is a very important item. When I originally did this project I was following Martha's directions... (there is only one Martha when it comes to crafts) and she had me using ink. It worked but was messy and little difficult to work with because I was trying desperately not to get it on anything. Well after doing a little more research I learned that that Pledge stuff worked like magic. I was willing to give it a try. I had heard some girls were only able to find it at Walmart but I don't go there so I checked Meijer and Target and off course neither had it... and guess what Walmart did. So save yourself the trouble and just go to Walmart for it. It is clear liquid with a blue cap.

Alright moving on!

First things first carefully remove the cap from the ornament. I stress carefully, I whipped one off and broke the ornament so needless to say I learned my lesson :)


Next you are going to squirt your Pledge into the ornament. Use enough to swish around and fully coat the inside of the ornament. This is also where your plastic wrap is going to come in handy. Use it to cover the opening by holding it in place with your finger and just give the ornament a good shaking.


After shaking pour the excess liquid out, I used an old pop can. Place the ornament open end down back into your ornament tray while you prepare the glitter. This lets any lingering liquid find its way out.


For pouring the glitter into the ornament I got really technical and used a folded piece of paper :) Its really hard to explain how much glitter to use. I would go smaller in the portion and add more as not to waste to much glitter but you really can't mess it up. If it is too much just pour the extra out.


All thats left is to use your finger and cover the opening and give the bulb a good shake. That's all there is to it. Like I said before if it looks a little thin or you see bare spots just add a little more glitter and shake away.


I finally decided to use my cricut to cut some vinyl letters (even though this isn't vinyl, because the vinyl is way too expensive I just used some cheap contact paper I found :)

I absolutely love these ornaments! They also make a great homemade gift.


1 comment:

  1. That's pretty cool, and I am not even much of a craft person. If our tree needs more ornaments, I will have to consider this.

    ReplyDelete