Friday, November 5, 2010

Be Thankful

No matter what the ups and downs of life are, I have so much to be thankful for! As the Halloween decorations came down the other day I found myself a little bummed that I didn't have anything to put up! Its way to early for Christmas decorations (although I did think about it for a moment.) I was determined to find something Thanksgiving related. I found this project and thought it would be perfect!


This was a great one day project, it only took me a couple hours (including the numerous breaks for playtime with Tiny) Sorry for the crafters that like step-by-step tutorials on how to do projects, but I don't have them! Its more to share the idea because you can take the concept and really make it your own. Mine looks nothing like the inspiration for it, but it does have words and a string with pictures.

I found this great finished board at Hobby Lobby for $3 that even had the wall hanging fixtures on the back. The wooden letters were .50 each but total worth it. I love how loopy they are and that the heights are all different. I bought the cheapest acrylic paint they had that was .66 and it worked perfect. I had the scrapbook paper on hand, as well as mod podge and some foam brushes.

I painted the letters which was much more difficult than I had anticipated. The curls on the letters were a hassle to paint! I suggest waiting about 20 min. and then doing another coat because this wood really absorbs the paint and gives it a dull color. After painting I added a thin layer of mod podge just to give it a finished gloss look. Plus it really smoothes out the feel of the painted wood.

While letting the letters dry I took my board and used a wood stapler to attach my thin blue twine. You can pretty much figure out any way to attach the twine it isn't going to need to hold much weight.

Next I cut my scrapbook paper and mod podged it on the board. After that all you have to do is attach the letters, I used some tacky glue I had lying around.

Thats it! You can use anything you want to attach the pictures, I think I'm going to go back and paint the mini clothespins but you could even use colored paper clips if you wanted.

I am going to pick out some cute pictures to use, I am thankful for more than my baby and cat. To be honest that isn't even my favorite cat, let alone my favorite pet :)

Well I am off to enjoy my exciting Friday night full relaxing on the couch with the hubs!

No comments:

Post a Comment