Wednesday, November 3, 2010

White Bean Chicken Chili

This is NOT a food blog. I do not pretend to know what I am doing in the kitchen. God so kindly blessed me with a husband that will literally eat anything and everything that I give him so I keep cooking around my house very simple.

I mentioned Monday I was going to make this... well something came up. Then I was convinced I was going to make this Tuesday... then something came up. So I was determined to make this recipe today. It could not be any easier and I knew many of my friends could benefit from a nice easy dinner recipe! (This is also a great meal to make on Sunday that will taste just as good reheated during the week when you might not have time to cook :)

3 Main Ingredients - Rotisserie Chicken, Jar of Salsa, Jar of Beans (I use Randall)
Dump the whole jar of beans, and the whole jar of salsa right into a large pot. Take your rotisserie chicken and just shred the meat right off the bones. I use my hands, and the hardest part is trying to not snack on the delicious skin while disposing of it along with the bones. Add 1 tsp of Cumin, and 1 tsp of Chili powder and let simmer for 2 hours on low. Thats it. No joke.

I choose to use a Thick and Chunky style salsa, this way we get some onions, tomatoes, peppers mixed in. If you like a really high volume of veggies you could always add more. Mike is a fan of corn and I have debated adding a can of corn, but I'm not a fan... so I don't.

Tiny was hanging out next to me while I was shredding the chicken at the stove. She could not have been more entertained with herself as she realized how to open and close the cabinets. I am really regretting the numerous hours I spent trying to uninstall all the childproofing fixtures 3 years ago when we first moved in...
Right before serving I like to melt in about a cup of monterey jack cheese. Definitely a personal taste thing. I serve this with sour cream and tortillas. Ta-da!
On a side note - for the thrifty ladies this is a great meal that feeds a family for very little. The total cost for the chicken, salsa, beans, sour cream, tortillas, and cheese was $12. My mom always made this recipe for a family of 5 and when I make it we have plenty of leftovers!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment