Monday, November 15, 2010

No turning back...

The fireplace is painted and I absolutely love it. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner but it is perfect. There is one downside... it makes me hate the red wall even more. It is kinda funny because i never "hated" the red wall. I kind of grew out of it but it didn't bother me, and then I saw the picture of the house down the street and all of a sudden I hated it! I got a few samples today that are very promising. My plan is to paint over the red and if I don't like it just suck it up and paint it the same as the other walls... or go with it and change everything. So far I am hoping for the latter.

It took all day just to paint the dang thing. Tiny was very agreeable this afternoon so that was helpful. I just dumped some toys out and turned on some DVR'ed episodes of the Wiggles and she was happy as a clam. Downside is I now have a song called "Lettuce Sing" stuck in my head.

I keep to a plan and do quite a bit of work when painting over wood. I majorly wiped down the wood with a wet sponge. After it dried I sprayed it liberally with TSP and then wiped it down again. Did some rough sanding just to give the primer something to grab on to, and then applied two coats of primer. I did two coats of the actual paint and I will probably need to do another one tomorrow just to get a really solid cover. The worst of it was these little nubs that were a total pain to paint inside of. Thankfully I bought a few sponge brushes and that definitely helped get the job done.

On the list for tomorrow is to prime and paint the wall and I am going to spray paint the fireplace door metal black. If it ends up not looking nice I will probably just buy a cheap new set of doors but I'm pretty confident it is going to work just fine.

Without further adieu, my updated fireplace. (This was next to impossible to photograph. The flash and the wet paint was glossy but hopefully this is good enough!)


No comments:

Post a Comment