Monday, January 23, 2012

Friends on the Interwebs

Confession : I met my BFF on in the Internet. Her name is Sheila, she enjoys wine, broadway, internet shopping, and long meaningful phone calls. :)

It is totally acceptable for people to meet their life partners on the internet so I really don't think there is anything wrong with this.

So anyone who has ever even thought about getting married knows about The Knot. It is the go to website for brides. Just getting to make a profile and enter your wedding date is exciting enough in the first week of your engagement.

What some people don't know is that after your days on The Knot there are follow up sites, The Nest for married life, and The Bump for pregnancy.

Well about 4 years ago I found myself looking for ways to waste time on the internet and came across The Nest. Here we had a bunch of recently married girls looking to chat about just that, being married.

Well after about a month there was going to be a get together at Mr. B's in Rochester Hills. A chance for all of us to meet in person. I figured why not, what did I have to lose!

Mind you I was at a very particular place in life. Recently married and living in an area where my best friends growing up had all left town. I really needed some girls in my life but was looking for people who shared the same mindset that I had. I wasn't looking to go out every weekend and get crazy, I wasn't looking to deal with drama from dating. I was looking for some friends I could rely on for friendship.

(as I am typing this Clara is trying to stick a nursing pad down Hudson's shirt! LOL)

So I went to Mr. B's not really knowing what I was getting myself into. I had no idea what these girls were going to be like but I was determined to put myself out there!

It was easily one of the best decisions of my life. I met three ladies, Sheila, Melissa and Renee who are now some of my dearest friends. How perfect of a situation to find yourself in when you meet women who were married the same time as you and then we were all pregnant at basically the same times. Through them I have had the opportunity to meet even more woman who have become close friends to me. We have even vacationed together when we went to Orlando! (Now that is true friends who deal with you when you are 6 months pregnant on vacation!)

As I said about 4 years has passed and to be honest none of us actually use The Nest anymore. We talk on the phone and see each other in person as often as our children and husbands allow. We make time for our Melting Pot ladies nights. The internet helped us meet each other but now its all us.

If you find yourself looking for some more female energy and you are willing to put yourself out there, it could definitely pay off.

I will leave you with one minor warning though... The Nest will cause you to get pregnant. Just FYI.




No comments:

Post a Comment