Sunday, January 15, 2012

January Trip to the Zoo

So I know it may be hard to believe... but the zoo was pretty empty today. :)

It was however, awesome.

So Friday Mike suggested we go to the zoo this weekend just to get out of the house. We have an annual membership so I figured if we got in and it was really miserable after 10 minutes... no biggie if we have to leave because we didn't pay to get in. (and my membership has already more than paid for itself!)

So we bundled up the kids in double pants, and triple tops, hats, gloves and headed out!

We were there for about 3 hours and Hudson never saw the light of day... he was bundled and double covered from the sun. He stayed nice and toasty and sleep the whole time. Clara had a great time.

It is funny how big of a difference it was going to the zoo in just the last few months. I think most of it was due to the face that in the summer the animals are almost always asleep or tired from the heat in the summer. We were there from 10:30-2:30 and the animals were not only awake they were moving around so much. I think it was easier for Clara to find them and stay interested.

Clara got to run around and play for a while in the Arctic Circle exhibit... which was nice because we got to stay inside for about 20 min.


Another major plus was that in the winter the giraffes are kept inside, so instead of looking out into the huge giraffe wilderness they were literally 2 feet away!



It was a great day all around. It was nice that Hud slept because it made the day all about Clara and I think she enjoyed that.



Once per winter is enough for me though. Can't wait to go back this summer!

An additional little treat (because it took me forever to find it on the computer) I have every intention of making an identical copy of this photo of me and Anthony, with Clara and Hudson one day! This was taken in front of the fountain at the Detroit Zoo about a hundred years ago...


No comments:

Post a Comment